Masiyal in Tamil- means Cooked and Smashed. This recipe here of a traditional Tamil cuisine preparation with Senai (Yam/ Karanai Kizhangu/ ചേന), a common root vegetable. Yams in general are a good source of minerals and fiber and known to be a balanced nutrient with multiple health benefits. It can go great as a side dish to mix with steamed rice.
- Karanai kizhangu : 3 ( ~ ½ kg)
- Oil : 1 Tbl-sp
- Mustard seeds : ½ T-sp
- Urud dal : 1 Tbl-sp
- Dried red chilly : 5
- Asafoetida : About ¼ T-sp
- Chopped ginger : ¾ Tbl-sp
- Chopped green chilly : 5
- Turmeric powder : ¾ T sp.
- Tamarind : Gooseberry size
- Lemon juice : 1/2 Tsp
- Water : 1 ½ cup
- Salt for taste
- Curry leaves
- In a pressure cooker add enough water to cover the kizhangu and cook it until soft ( It took 4 whistle for me ).
- Once cold, peel the skin and smash it well with 1/4 T-sp of turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- In a Kadai/ pan, pour oil and add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the Urdu dal and fry it until golden color and add then red the chilli and fry for few seconds.
- Now add the Asafoetida powder, followed by the ginger and green chilli, fry for about a minute.
- Add the tamarind with 1 ½ cup of water, salt and boil well.
- Then add the smashed kizhangu and stir it well without any lumps and cook it for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and switch off the stove.
- Finally add the lemon juice and mix well.