Mathi (മത്തി) OR Sardine are commonly available healthy fish variety worldwide. This cheap and nutritious fish rich with Omega-3, perhaps can be considered as the greatest gift of ocean to mankind. Kerala costs are abundant with sardine and hence it has become a part of daily diet of malayali.
There are multiple preparation methods for sardine-with and without coconut- from region to region can be traced. Puliyum Mulakum (പുളിയും മുളകും) is one of the tastiest Mathi- preparation, which uses tamarind and/or coccum(കുടമ്പുളി) with hot red chillies.
- Mathi (sardine) :1/2kg
- Tomato1/4. Sliced
- Garlic crushed. 2 tsp
- Ginger crushed. 1 tsp
- Curry leaves. 1 Strig
- Oil. 1 tblsp
- Kokum (കുടമ്പുളി). 2-3 pieces
- Tamarind. 1 gooseberry size
- Coconut oil : 1 T sp.
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder :2 tbl sp
- Coriander powder :3 Tsp
- Turmeric powder: ½ Tsp
- Fenugreek powder(ഉലുവ , வெந்தயம் ) : ¼ Tsp
- Dry roast the masala ingredients and make it as a paste with enough water.
- Pour oil in a pan or earthen pot & add the ginger and garlic.
- Fry it till the color became brown
- Add the masala paste and fry it for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the oil separate from the masala
- Add1 cup of water along with sliced tomato, tamarind, Kokum and salt
- Bring it for boil; once it boiled well, add the cleaned fish on it.
- Wait for another 4 minutes, then reduce the flame to medium and close the lid.
- After 8 minutes remove the lid and add the curry leaves and coconut oil.
For better taste, keep the curry overnight. The added taste comes as the masala and getting well absorbed to the fish.