Here is an authentic Chicken Curry (Kozhi Curry- കോഴിക്കറി) preparation from the Kerala Chirstian Cuisine. This semi thick gravy style Chicken Curry is served as a perfect accompaniment in Kozhiyum Pidiyum (കോഴിയും പിടിയും) preparation, that is very common in Knanaya Christian Cuisine.
- Chicken : 3.5 Lb (cut to medium pieces)
- Chopped onion : 4 Cup
- Chopped pearl onion : 1 Cup
- Chopped tomato : 2 (Medium)
- Green chilly : 4
- Ginger paste : 1.5 T- Sp
- Garlic paste : 1 Tbl – Sp
- Coconut : 1 Cup
- Fennel seeds : ½ T- Sp
- Thin coconut milk : 1 Cup
- Thick coconut milk : 1 Cup
- Coriander powder : 4 T- Sp
- Chilly Powder : 2 Tbl -Sp(Adjust)
- Pepper powder : 1 T- sp
- Turmeric powder : ½ T- Sp
- Garam masala : ½ T- Sp
- Oil : 2 Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- Salt for taste
- Curry leaves
- Fennel seeds : 1 T- Sp
- Cinnamon : 1 small piece
- Cardamom : 3
- Cloves : 3
- Star anise : ½ petal
- In a pan/kadai roast the coconut along with ½ T- Sp fennel seeds until golden color.
- Grind the roasted coconut in to a fine paste, use enough water for grinding.
- Heat oil in a pan/ earthen pot and add all the ingredients mentioned for masala and let it splutter.
- Then add the chopped onion, pearl onion and salt; sauté it till the onions are brown.
- Then add green chilli along with ginger and garlic paste, sauté it for about 1 minute or until the raw smell is gone.
- Add the coriander powder along with chilli powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder.
- Fry it for about 1 minute, add chopped tomatoes and cook it until the tomatoes are completely smashed.
- Now add the chicken pieces and sauté it about 1 minute and add 1 cup of thin milk and let it boil.
- Check the salt, add if needed. Then close the lid and cook it. Stir it in frequent intervals to avoid sticking in the bottom of the pan in low flame.
- Once it is half done, add the coconut masala and mix everything well.
- Close the lid and cook it in a low flame, don’t forget to stir in regular intervals.
- Once the chicken is cooked well, add the thick coconut milk and mix it.
- Finally add the curry leaves and garam masala and take it out from the stove.
- I used chicken leg quarters, you can use any part/ whole chicken.
- Cook the chicken in earthern pot will give more taste.
- Make sure to cook in a low flame, more time will guarantee the taste.
- This is a medium thick gravy, the consistency may vary according to personal taste.