A fruit halwa recipe with banana blended with Jaggery and ghee. Typically prepared with robusta banana but any other sweet banana can be used instead. Banana Halwa can be served as an excellent desert for festival occasions or dinner gatherings.
- Banana : 10
- Jaggery : ½ Cup (Adjust)
- Water for syrup : ¼ Cup
- Rice flour : ¼ Cup
- Water : ¼ Cup
- Ghee : ¼ Cup (Adjust)
- Oil : ¼ (Adjust)
- Cardamom powder : ½ T- Sp
- In a sauce pan, add the jaggery and ¼ cup of water and boil it till the jaggery completely melts, filter it and keep it aside.
(If you are very sure that the jaggery doesn’t contain any dirts /impurities no need for making syrup, powder it instead)
- Remove the skin of the banana and roughly chop it.
- Grease a plate / tray with ghee and keep it for setting the halwa.
- In a kadai/pan, add the chopped banana and cook it until soft. Stir in-between to avoid burning/sticking to the pan.
- Smash it completely while cooking itself and add the jaggery syrup/ powder and mix it .
- Dilute the rice flour with the ¼ cup of water and add it to the banana and jaggery mixture.
- You can see the mixture is getting thicken, add a teaspoon of ghee and oil at regular intervals.
- Keep on stirring without any gap adding the ghee at regular intervals.
- Now add the cardamom powder and mix it well.
- You can see the halwa is oozing the oil/ghee and it is not sticking in the pan and rolling easily from the pan, this is the time to take the halwa.
- Take the halwa from the pan and spread it in the greased pan and level it (Add ghee in a spatula while leveling the halwa).
- Adjust the quantity of jaggery, banana is sweet .so taste the banana before adding the jaggery.
- Add generous amount of ghee and oil. Halwa needs more quantity, I added a minimum amount of ghee and jaggery. Using ghee will give the halwa more taste.
- It took me about 1 hour cooking.
- Continuous stirring is very important for making halwa.