Vazhakkai (Raw banana) is a very good source of fibre, carbohydrates, potassium, vitamin A and C. Vazhakkai puttu -(വാഴയ്ക്കാ പുട്ട്) is popular side dish in South Indian state -Tamil Nadu. The recipe here is a slight variant of the traditional preparation, to go as a spicy side dish with rice.
- Medium sized onion (finely chopped) : 2
- Raw Plantain (vazhakka) : 3
- Crushed garlic : 2 Tsp
- Crushed ginger : 2 Tsp
- green chillies (finely chopped) : 3
- Turmeric powder. : A pinch
- Chilli powder : 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard seed. : 1/2 Tsp
- Urud dal. : 1 Tsp
- Dry-red chilli. : 4 -5
- Oil : 2-3 Tsp
- Fennel powder.(optional ): 1 pinch
- Curry leaf.
- Pressure cook raw banana with very little water just for a whistle. (Overcooking may turn them mushy.)
- After it is cooled, peel off the skin and grate the plantain.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seed, urud dal, dry red chilli and curry leaf.
- After spluttering add the onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Fry them for a while and add the salt, turmeric and chilli powder-until onion turns slight brown.
- Add the cooked and grated plantain & mix well.
- After cooking for 3 -5 minutes
- As a final step add the fennel powder & mix well, the banana puttu is now ready.