Jackfruit seeds comes as a byproduct while jack fruit is consumed either as a fruit or cooked. Jack fruit cooked dishes are very common in Kerala cuisine, as aviyal or thoran to go some times as main dish or side dish with rice. Recipe here details the steps to prepare delicious jackfruit seed dessert in traditional Kerala pradhaman style.
- Jackfruit seeds (ചക്കക്കുരു) : 40
- Cashew nuts : 20
- Thin coconut milk : 4 ½ Cups
- Thick coconut milk : 1.5 Cup
- Jaggery : 1 lb (Adjust)
- Water for syrup : 2 Cup
- Chovvery / tapioca pearl : 2 ½ Tbl- Sp
- Water for chovvery : ¾ Cup
- Jeera powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Dried ginger powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Cardamom powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Ghee : ¼ Cup(Adjust)
- Cashew nuts : ¼ Cup
- Raisins : ¼ Cup
- In a pressure cooker, add the jackfruit seeds and add enough water to cover the seeds; cook it about 3-4 whistles. (Cook it until soft, don’t overcook).
- Let it cool and then remove the skin.
- In a mixer, add the seeds and 20 cashew nuts, make a coarse powder(See the pic).
- In a sauce, pan add the tapioca pearls and ¾ cup of water and cook it till soft.
- In a sauce pan, add the jaggery and 2 cups of water and boil it until jaggery completely dissolves. Filter the syrup and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat the jaggery syrup and wait for it to boil.
- Then add the powdered jackfruit seeds and mix it, add 1 Tbl- Sp of ghee in between and stir it well.
- Keep stirring the mix for about 30-40 minutes, until the mixture thickens and the color of the jackfruit seeds turns like jaggery syrup.
- Then pour the 4.5 Cup of thin coconut milk along with cooked tapioca pearls and let it boil well.
- Take 1 Tbl- Spoon of thick coconut milk and dilute the jeera powder, dried ginger powder and cardamom powder; add it to the pradhaman and mix it.
- Then add the thick coconut milk and cook it for about 2 minutes and take it out.
- Heat 1 Tbl- Sp of ghee and fry the cashews and raisins; add it to the pradhaman.