Unnakkaya -Banana Rolls (ഉന്നക്കായ) is delicious, sweet and traditional Kerala snack popular in Malabar side. It is typically prepared during the Ramzan days for “nombuthura” . … Unnakkaya is prepared with smashed bananas stuffed with cashew nuts, raisins and rice flakes.
- Riped plantains : 2
- Grated coconut : 1 Cup
- Cashews&raisins : ¼ Cup
- Sugar : ¼ Cup
- Cardamom powder : 1 T-Sp
- Ghee : 2 T- Sp
- Oil for frying
- Select right plantain ie,it should not be too ripe or too raw.
- Steam the plantains with skin, once its cooked remove the skin and seeds from inside.
- Mash the plantain very well without any lumps, I cut the plantains into pieces and grind it in a mixer/bleder (don’t add any water for grinding). May add a little sugar while grinding the plantains if the plantains are less sweet.
- Crush the cashews in a coarse texture.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashews, then add raisins and fry it.
- Now add the coconut along with sugar and cardamom powder.
- Mix it well and remove the pan from the stove.
- Make lemon sized balls from the plantain mixture.
- Wet your hands with water/ghee and flatten the ball by using the other hand
- Then in the center add 1 Tbl- Sp of coconut mixture and make in oval shape.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry it until golden brown.