In this typical Punjabi cuisine recipe, capsicum or green bell peppers is stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes. There are many variations of making the stuffing and even with different ingredients like paneer/cottage cheese, besan/gram flour and green peas. The possibility of variety of filling option – even non vegetarian- makes this general recipe more versatile.
- Capsicum : 2 (big)
- Onion : 1 (small)
- Green chilly : 4 (adjust)
- Ginger paste : 1/4 T-sp
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 T-sp
- Potatoes : 2 ( medium)
- Tomato : 1 (small)
- Lemon juice : 2 T-sp (adjust)
- Oil : 2 T-sp (adjust)
- Jeera : 1/4 T-sp
- Salt for taste
- Coriander leaves
- Boil the potatoes until soft. Peel the skin and smash it and keep aside .
- In a kadai / pan heat the oil and splutter the jeera.
- Add the onions along with ginger and green chilli;, sauté it until the onions became transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook it until soft, then add the turmeric powder and fry it for about 1 minute.
- Add salt and smashed potatoes and mix it well to get everything together.
- Switch off the stove, add the lemon juice along with chopped coriander leaves and mix it together.
- Meanwhile Preheat the oven into 350 degree Fahrenheit .
- Take the capsicum, wash it and pat dry it with a kitchen towel .
- Cut the top part ( the stem part) gently and remove all the seeds from the capsicum .
- Brush some oil into the outer part of the capsicum .
- Gently fill the potato mixture into the capsicum .
- Place it in an oven safe dish and bake it for about 20 -30 minute.
Baking time may vary oven to oven.