Spinach is well known across the world for generations for its nutritious benefits. This leafy vegetable is an excellent source of Vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber and much more….You can see multiple ways to make use of spinach in diet, in cakes, salads, sweets, pies etc. Here is spinach preparation in traditional Kerala style, with grated coconut & masala.
- Chopped spinach : 500 Gm
- Chopped onion : 1 (medium)
- Green chilli : 3 (adjust)
- Chopped garlic : 2 cloves
- Grated coconut : 1.5 Cup adjust
- Jeera : ¼ T- sp
- Turmeric powder : ½ T- sp
- Oil : 2 T- sp adjust
- Mmustard seeds : ½ T- sp
- Red chilli : 3
- Curry leaves few
- Salt for taste
- In a mixer, add the grated coconut along with jeera, garlic, green chilli and turmeric powder; make a coarse mix like for thoran (pulse it for just a few second).
- Heat a pan and add the oil and splutter the mustard seeds; then add the red chilli along with curry leaves and fry it.
- Now add the chopped onion and sauté it until translucent.
- Add the chopped spinach & stir it.(keep the stove at high flame at this point on..)
- Add the coconut mixture along with salt and stir it until the spinach get cooked (don’t overcook the spinach, spinach take very little time to cook typically ~ 1 min).
- Spinach oozes out water, so don’t close the pan for the entire cooking, to avoid the dish more watery.
- I used triple washed spinach packet from Costco, if you are using spinach bunch wash it and dry all the water from the spinach.