Here is a spicy and extremely tasty fish pickle recipe, unique from Kerala Kitchen. Fish pickles are excellent preservable food option for non-vegetarian spicy food lovers. I prepare fish pickles whenever I can find suitable fish in sale-deals. We can use any fish with thick flesh, tuna is a good option to make fish pickle because the pieces won’t break.
For Marinating: –
- Fish fillet (cut into medium sized cubes) : 3 Lbs
- Chilli powder : 3 Tbl-Sp (adjust)
- Turmeric powder : ½ T-Sp
- Ginger –Garlic paste : 1.5 T-Sp
- Salt for taste
For Mixing: –
- Sliced garlic : 1 Cup
- Chopped ginger : ½ Cup
- Green chilli (split to 2) : 10
- Chilli powder : ¼ Cup (adjust)
- Vinegar : 1- 1 ¼ Cup
- Curry leaves
- Salt for taste
- Asafoetida : 2-3 pinches
- Oil : 1.5 Cup (adjust)
- Marinate the fish with the listed ingredients.
- Rest it for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces until brown. keep it aside.
- In the same pan add enough oil add the ginger garlic and fry it, after 2-3 minutes add the green chilli along with curry leaves and fry everything until brown.
- Then add the chilli powder and fry it till the raw smell is gone and oil starts separating from the masala.
- Pour the vinegar and let it boil, add salt in this point.
- Once boiled well, add the fried fish pieces and the Asafoetida (kayam) and mix it.
- Check the salt and vinegar and if you need more add a bit more.
- Switch off the flame & allow the pickle to cool completely.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- I used boneless tuna for this preparation. Can use any fish with thick flesh, tuna is a good option to make fish pickle because the pieces won’t break.
- It is a spicy pickle, so may reduce the chilli powder and green chilly into your taste.
- Add plenty of curry leaves, that will give the pickle more aroma and taste.
- Keep it in the fridge for long time use.