Egg masala (മുട്ട മസാല /മുട്ടക്കറി) is an absolute delight and great side dish for breakfast dishes. You can find this as a great combination for typical Kerala rice/wheat breads such as Appam, Idiappam and Parotta. A hot milk-tea going with this combo is very typical. The recipe uses sliced onions sauté with oil (typically coconut oil), masala and spices
1. Boiled Egg. : 3 nos
2. Sliced Onion : 2 nos
3. Garlic paste. : 1 tsp
4. Ginger paste : ½ tsp
5. Green chilly. : 2 nos
6. Chilly powder. : 3 tsp
7. Coriander powder : 2tsp
8. Turmeric powder. : ½ tsp
9. Tomato. : ½
10. Chopped cilantro. : 2 tsp
11. Fennel powder. : ½ tsp
12. Oil. : 3 tbsp
13. Salt. : To taste
- Mustard seeds. : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves. : 2 string
- Whole chillies. : 2 nos
- In a pan pour the oil and add the seasoning ingredients.
- After spluttering the mustard, add the onion, ginger-garlic paste, salt and green chillies.
- Sauté it for ~5 mts until the onions becomes translucent.
- Add chilly, coriander , turmeric powder along with the tomato.
- Stir the masala in a low heat , until the color turned to brown ( ~20 mts).
- Add 1 cup of water and allow it cook for another ~ 5 mts in low heat.
- Add the fennel powder and cilantro.
- Put the egg slices on top of the masala and spread the gravy on top .