Rava Upma (ഉപ്പുമാവ്) is one of the easiest breakfast dish that can be done without much of a preparation. The upuma will go well with a little sugar or banana or even with some crispy snack like murukku or kerala-mixture (typical in Tamil style) . Traditional Upuma preparation uses large quantity of oil which keeps this dish away from healthy category. But we can limit the oil by properly choosing the water quantity for cooking, still keeping the taste.
For 4 Servings
- Semolina/rava : 1 cup
- Onion( medium size) : ½
- Ginger- chopped : 1/4 inch
- Green chilli : 2
- Grated coconut : ½ cup
- Water : Slightly less than 2 cup
For seasoning :
- Mustard seeds : ½ T sp.
- Channa dal : ½ Tbl Sp.
- Urdu dal : 2 T. sp.
- Cashew nuts : 2 Tbl sp.
- Dried red chilli : 2
- Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil : 2-3 Tbl sp.
- Roast the rava until the color gets light brown, and gets a nice aroma.
- Take out the rava and keep it in a wide plate.
- Keep a wide kadai/ pan ( preferably nonstick ) and pour 1.5 T sp. oil .
- Add the mustard seeds , let it splutter.
- Then add the channa dal, followed by Urdu dal, cashews , red chilli and curry leaves and sauté well.
- Then add the thinly sliced onion along with ginger and green chillies and sauté well.
- Fry it until the onion became translucent.
- Add the water along with salt and let it boil.
- Once the water boiled add the rava and same time mixing it with a spatula (one hand putting rava from the plate and the other hand for mixing).
- Stir it continuously for avoiding lumps and add the balance oil .
- Finally add the coconut and mix it thoroughly.
- Can use more coconut and oil, it will increase the taste
- Instead of oil can use ghee or half ghee or oil also can use.
- Don’t put lid for the entire cooking.