Puttu (പുട്ട് ), is a Kerala breakfast dish of steamed cylinders of ground rice/wheat/Ragi layered with coconut. It is highly popular in the Indian states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu as well as in few areas of Sri Lanka, is served with side dishes such as boiled moong daal with pappad, black channa curry or banana.
1. Coarse rice (Or wheat/Ragi) powder : 1 Cup
2. Grated coconut : ½ Cup
3. Water : As reqiored
4. Salt : To taste
- In a wide vessel, add the flour along with salt and 1.5 cup of coconut and mix it.
- Sprinkle water a little at a time and make a moistened puttu podi , it should looks like bread crumbs.
- Boil water in a puttu maker/pressure cooker.
- Meantime in the puttu cylinder add some coconut then chemmeen masala and rice flour mix repeating the same as you like for layers.
- Put the lid and keep the cylinder in the puttu maker ( I used the pressure cooker puttu maker ,keeping the puttu maker in the stem of the pressure cooker)
- Steam until the rice flour is fully cooked (typically 30s after you start seeing the steam coming out through the top of the puttu cylinder).