One of the simplest side dish recipe to go with rice, പിഴിഞ്ഞപുളി (Pizhinja Puli) is a quick make and can be easily put together from common ingredients in a kitchen. This used to be a common accompaniment to rice in my childhood. There is a few variant of this recipe from place to place, but the one I share is the traditional one.
- Tamarind : Small lemon size( Adjust)
- Chilli powder : 1.5 T- Sp(Adjust)
- Coriander powder : 1 Tbl- Sp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Cumin powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Fenugreek powder : A pinch
- Pepper powder : ½ T- Sp(Adjust)
- Crushed garlic : 1.5 Tbl- Sp
- Salt for taste
- Curry leaves
- Water : 7 Cups(Adjust)
- Asfoetida powder : ¼ T- Sp(Adjust)
- Coconut oil : 1.5 Tbl- Sp(Adjust)
- Mustard seeds : ½ T- Sp
- Cumin seeds : A pinch
- Fenugreek(uluva) : 4
- Chopped pearl onion : 1.5 Tbl- Sp
- Dried red chilli : 4
- Curry leaves
- Take the extract from the tamarind (use ¼ Cup of hot/normal water, soak the tamarind for about 15 minutes and squeeze the tamarind extract).
- In a large vessel, add the ingredients number 2- 11 and the tamarind water , mix it and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan, crackle the mustard seeds along with cumin seeds and fenugreek (uluva/ventayam) .
- Then add the dried red chillies and chopped pearl onions; fry it until brown.
- Finally add the curry leaves and pour the tamarind water , let it boil well.
- Then reduce the flame into low and boil it for another 5-7 minutes.
- Finally add the asfoetida powder and mix; and switch off the stove.
- Close the lid and keep it for 15 minutes.
- It is a liquid curry, so adjust the water quantity.
- More curry leaves will give the curry more taste.