Papaya thoran is a traditionally a simple Kerala side dish recipe, that goes well with rice which can be made easily and faster. I tag this one to the healthy diet category because of its well-known health benefits. Papayas contain an enzyme called papain that aids digestion and also high in fiber and water content, both of which help to prevent constipation and promote regularity and a healthy digestive tract.
- Green papaya : 1 ½ Lbs
- Salt for taste
- Mustard seeds : ½ T- Sp
- Oil : 2 T- Sp (Adjust)
- Red chillies : 3
- Chopped pearl onion : 1 Tbl-Sp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut : 1 ½ cup (Adjust)
- Jeera : ¼ T- Sp
- Garlic : 1 cloves
- Turmeric powder : ½ T- Sp
- Green chillies : 3
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Chop the papaya into small pieces (may use a food chopper).
- In a mixer, add all the ingredients mentioned for masala and pulse it for a second (we need a coarse masala) and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, add the mustard seeds followed by red chilli, pearl onions and curry leaves and fry it.
- Add the papaya pieces and salt, stir it.
- Close the lid and cook the papaya, stir it in between.
- If you see the papaya is dry/not cooked sprinkle some water and close the lid and cook it.
- Once it is cooked well, add the ground masala and stir it for about a minute or until the raw smells goes.