A tasty way to prepare mezhukkupuratti/ മെഴുക്കുപുരട്ടി (stir fry) with Okra/Ladies/ വെണ്ടയ്ക്ക finger. A common problem while doing this preparation is that the fry becomes mushy that is not preferred by any. Follow this step-by-step recipe to prepare okra stir fry in dry form.
- Ladies finger/Okra : 2 Lb
- Oil : 1 ½ Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- Turmeric powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Chilly powder : 1 T- Sp (Adjust)
- Curry leaves
- Salt for taste
- Wash the okra and keep it in a strainer.
- Once the water is drained completely, keep the okra in paper towel for absorbing the water. (If you are in a hurry, wipe each okra with a kitchen towel).
- Remove the both sides and cut it into approximate ¾ inch pieces, don’t cut into too thin pieces.
- Heat oil (1.5 Tbl- Sp) in a wide pan and add the pieces and stir it (no need for continuous stirring).
- Once its half done, add salt, curry leaves, turmeric powder and chili powder and fry it. If you see the okra pieces are getting dry / sticking in the bottom of the pan add some oil and fry it. (Here I used ~2 ¼ Tbl- spoon of oil for my preperation.
- Fry it until brown (this part is up to personal choice , some people like light browning and some one likes dark browning).
- Use wide mouth pan for the preparation (I used a cast iron wide pan).
- Make sure to dry all the okra before cutting.