Here is a wonderful recipe if you want to have a perfect healthy start for your day. Oats Puttu brings together the benefits Oats- known to be one of the healthiest grains on earth – and grated coconut, cooked in the traditional Kerala steam Cake (Puttu) style. The the blend of Oats with coconut gets us a delicious breakfast, can be taken raw or mixed with a piece of well ripped banana.
- Oats : 2.5 Cups
- Grated Coconut : 1 Cup (Adjust)
- Salt for taste
- Water : ½ Cup( Adjust)
- Grind the oats into a coarse powder.
- In a bowl, add a little water, enough salt and mix it.
- Add the oats into the bowl along with ½ cup of coconut and mix it, then sprinkle a little water and make a moistened puttu podi, the consistency should be like bread crumbs.
- Boil water in a puttu maker/pressure cooker. (I used coconut shell for making the puttu, you can use your puttu maker)
- First add a little coconut then oats (may have multiple layers), finish with a coconut layer and close it.
- Keep the coconut shell in the stem of the pressure cooker.
- Steam it until the oats is completely cooked. In the coconut shell, it took me about 2 minutes.
- Adjust the quantity of water. It need only ½ cup of water for making the puttu mixture. It may be a little dry , if you keep it outside for more time. then sprinkle some water and mix it.
- More coconut will make the puttu more taste.
- Making puttu in the coconut shell will give more natural aroma, and will be healthy.