Puttu, is a traditional breakfast dish prepared by steam cooking rice flour along with grated coconut. Verieties of puttu preparation is becoming a trend in Kerala Cuisine from street side restaurants to Star Hotels. I have a few Puttu reicipies shared in my previous blogs. Here I share my own version of a delicious Puttu preparation – EGG MASALA PUTTU Rice flour layered with Egg Masala and grated coconut.
- Onion Sliced : 2 (medium)
- Turmeric powder : 1 pinch (big)
- Chilli powder : 1 ½ T- Sp (Adjust)
- Garam masala : ¼ T- Sp
- Oil : 2 Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- Salt for taste
- Curry leaves
- Boiled eggs : 2
- Rice flour : 1 Cup
- Coconut : ¾ Cup (Adjust)
- Salt for taste
- Water : ~ ½ Cup(Adjust)
- Slice the boiled eggs and keep it.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion with salt until brown and soft.
- Add the curry leaves and sauté it.
- Then add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and fry it for about 1 minute .
- Finally add the garam masala and the sliced boiled egg and mix everything together. Switch off the stove.
- In a vessel, add the rice flour along with salt and ½ cup of coconut and mix it.
- Sprinkle water a little at a time and make a moistened puttu podi, the consistency should look like bread crumbs.
- Boil water in a puttu maker/pressure cooker.
- I used coconut shell for making the puttu, you can use your puttu maker alternately. First spread a little coconut followed by the puttu podi and then the masala. Repeat the layering until the coconut shell is full, make sure to finish a coconut layer and close it.
- Keep the coconut shell in the stem of the pressure cooker.
- Steam it until the puttu is completely cooked.