I got inspiration for this recipe from the methi (Fenugreek) rice. Though Methi-rice is a mixed rice preparation of North Indian cuisines, I used to prepare it during my Chennai days. Same like Methi, Moringa leave (മുരിങ്ങ ഇല) is a rich source of nutrition especially β – carotene, calcium and iron. I tried here to give a Kerala touch to the recipe with coconut masala, and came out very well as a one dish meal which my family loved a lot.
- Moringa leaf (cleaned and chopped) : 3 cup
- Onion chopped : ½
- Crushed garlic :1 Tbl sp
- Basmati rice : 1 ½ cup
- Water : 2 ¼ cup
- Oil : 2 Tbl sp
- Salt for taste
- Coconut : ½ cup
- Green chilli : 3
- Fennel seed : ¼ T sp.
- Grind a smooth paste with the masala ingredients.
- Add the measured water to the masala paste.
- Heat a medium size pressure cooker, and add the oil.
- Once it hot, add the onion along with the garlic.
- Saute until the color change to light pink add then add moringa leaf and fry every thing together for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coconut mixed water along with the rice
- Add enough salt, and mix everything well.
- Put the pressure cooker lid and wait for one whistle, then switch of the stove keeping the cooker closed with its lid.
Note: If you r using the gas stove , wait for two whistles before turning the stove off.