Methi (Fenugreek /ഉലുവ / வெந்தயம்) leaf is a rich source of nutritions and also known to be a herbal plant. These leaves by nature have got a slight bitter taste. Methi Rice is popular nutritious single dish meal, originally of North Indian origin…. I have added some South Indian masala touch to this dish to get rid of its bitter taste and hence to make it more enjoyable to kids too….
- Methi (fenugreek) leaf (cleaned and chopped) : 4 cup (~ from 2 bunch)
- Onion chopped : ½
- Crushed garlic :1 Tbl sp
- Basmati rice : 1 ½ cup
- Water : 2 ¼ cup
- Oil : 2 Tbl sp
- Salt for taste
- Coconut : ½ cup
- Green chilli : 3
- Fennel seed : ¼ T sp.
- Grind a smooth paste with the masala ingredients.
- Add the measured water to the masala paste.
- Heat a medium size pressure cooker, and add the oil.
- Once it hot, add the onion along with the garlic.
- Saute until the color change to light pink add then add methi leaf and fry everything together for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coconut mixed water along with the rice
- Add enough salt, and mix everything well.
- Put the pressure cooker lid and wait for one whistle, then switch of the stove keeping the cooker closed with its lid.
Note: If you are using the gas stove , wait for two whistles before turning the stove off.