Kovakkai (Ivy gourd) contains beta-carotene, and considered a good source of protein and fiber. It is also considered to be helpful in controlling diabetics, by suppressing the activity of certain enzymes involved in glucose production. The recipe here is a typical Kovakkai stir-fry preparation that goes well as side dish to boiled rice.Ingredients
- Kovakka/Ivygourd : 2 Lb
- Chopped onion : 1 (Big)
- Spitted green chilli : 3
- Coconut slices : ½ Cup
- Turmeric powder : ½ T- Sp
- Crushed chilly : 2 Tbl- sp (Adjust)
- Oil : 3 Tbl- sp (Adjust)
- Curry leaves
- Salt for taste
- Cut the kovakka into 4 pieces( length wise)
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion and green chilli until the onion became transparent.
- Then add the kovakka along with coconut pieces, turmeric powder, crushed chilli and salt; saute it for about 3 minutes.
- Then close the pan and cook until kovakka is fully cooked.
- Open the lid and stir it in-between to avoid sticking in the bottom of the pan.
- Finally add the curry leaves and mix it well.