Tapioca is also known as Cassava or Yuca (ചീനി or കപ്പ ). This root vegetable of Latin American origin is a rich source of carbohydrates. A small amount of toxins are present in tapioca which will be removed by boiling couple of times & draining the water.Kappa Vevichathu (കപ്പ വേവിച്ചത്) is a common man’s preparation of Kerala. This in combination with fish curry is a popular combo from poor-man’s kitchen -now a day – to even to 5-stars hotels in Kerala. It also goes well with Beef or Chicken curry. This dish is very easy to prepare and is very delicious too.
- Sliced Kappa : 1/2 kg
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut : 1/4 to 1/2 c (to individuals taste choice)
- Dried red chillies : 4
- Jeera : 1/4 Tsp
- Garlic gloves : 3
- Turmeric : 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard. : 1/4 Tsp
- Oil. : 2 Tsp
- Dry red chillies : 3
- Curry leaves : 3 sprigs
- Coarse grind the masala ingredients.
- Boil the kappa with enough water to cover the kappa
- Once it boiled well drain the water and fill the water , add turmeric and little salt
- Cook the kappa well and drain the water
- Smash the kappa with any wooden spoon or mathu- മത്ത് ( I used mathu for smashing)
- Add the ground masala and mix everything very well.
- In a pan/ kadai pour the oil
- Add the mustard seeds wait to splutter and then add chillies and curry leaves and sauté
- Add the smashed kappa and mix well
- If the kappa is dry sprinkle some water
- In a low flame keep it for another 2 -3 minutes