No dish is complete without a coconut touch for Malayalee !!!. Here is another delicious fish recipe with Squid (കണവ), in dry form ( I have posted a gravy form preparation for squid in one of my previous posts “Squid Masala” ) . The preparation here uses cleaned and sliced squid, along with shredded coconut and common masala ingredients. It is an absolute fish recipe to go with traditional Kerala brown rice.
For cooking Squid
- Squid sliced : 500 gm
- Turmeric : 1 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Onion (chopped) : 2
- Garlic (chopped) : 2 pods
- Ginger (chopped) : 2 inch size
- Green Chilli (chopped) : 2
- Curry leaves : 2 sprig
- Oil : 2 Tbl sp
- Salt for taste
- Garam masala : ¼ Tsp
For Grinding :-
- Grated Coconut : 2 cup
- Chilli powder : 1 T sp
- Coriander powder : ½ T sp
- Pepper powder : 2 T sp
- Turmeric powder : ¾ T sp
- Coarse grind the Grinding ingredients and keep aside
- Pressure cook the squid along with turmeric and salt (don’t add water, squid itself ooze the water). It takes about 10 minute after the first whistle. Keep in medium/low flame after the whistle.
- Open the lid of the cooker and dry the oozed out water by heating the cooker in medium flame for a while (takes about ~5 minutes)
- Keep a kadai/ pan on the stove and pour the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onions along with the ginger, garlic and green chilli and salt.
- Sauté the mix until the color change to brown.
- Add the cooked squid and sauté for a minute.
- Add the ground mixture along with the curry leaves.
- Mix everything very well and cover the pan with a lid cook for another 3 -5 minutes in medium flame.
- Take the lid out and add the garam masala & mix everything well.
- Take it out from the stove.