One of the Squid/ Kanava / Koonthal / Calamari dishes that’s quite popular in Kerala is squid roast. The well prepared spicy squid roast is definitely a delicacy. Unlike to my earlier squid recipe Kanava Thoran, this preparation is coconut free and is relatively easy.
- Kanava/squid : 1 Lb
- Turmeric powder : ¼ T – Sp
- Salt : ¼ T- Sp
- Ginger –garlic paste : 2 T- Sp
- Chilli powder : 2 T- Sp
- Turmeric powder : a pinch
- Pepper powder : 1 T- Sp
- Fennel powder : ¼ T- Sp
- Garam masala : ¼ T- Sp
- Curry leaves
- Oil : 2 Tbl- Sp (adjust)
- Salt for taste
- Chopped Onion : 2 (medium)
- Clean the squid and cut it into pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, add the squid along with turmeric powder, ¼ T- Sp salt and cook it until soft.
- After the first whistle, reduce the flame and keep it for ~ 7 minutes, do not add any water while cooking, squid itself oozes some water.
- If there is any water just dry it or drain the keep the water for later.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger –garlic paste and salt into the squid and mix it (may check the salt before adding).
- Heat a pan, add 1Tbl – Sp of oil; then add the squid and fry it.
- Add a little oil at a time and fry it until brown.
- Then add the fennel powder, garam masala and pepper powder.
- Finally add the onion and saute it about 2-3 minutes, add curry leaves and switch off the stove.