Chakka -ചക്ക (Jack fruit) is one of the common seasonal fruits of tropics and is very abundant in Kerala. Idichakka is the tender form of Jackfruit and is used to make side dish for rice, by making a scramble of the same cooked with spices and coconut, popularly known in kerala as Idichakka thoran ((ഇടിച്ചക്ക തോരൻ)).
- Idichakka ( ~4-5″ size) : 1
- Grated coconut : 2 cups (adjust)
- Green Chilli : 5
- Turmeric powder : ½ Tsp
- Jeera : 1/2 Tsp
- Garlic : 4 cloves
- Curry leaves
- Oil. : 2 Tbl-sp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 2 strings
- Dry red chillies : 4
- Salt for taste
- De-skin the tender jackfruit to and cut to small pieces and wash well.
- Cook the tender jack fruit with enough water & add salt
- Once it is cooked drain the water and rinse with water again
- Shred the cooked jack fruit to pieces in a mixie or food processor
- Make a coarse mix masala ingredients 2 to 6
- Keep a kadai on the stove
- Pour the oil and add the seasoning ingredients & fry it.
- Add the jack fruit mix , salt to taste and sauté for minimum 5 minutes.
- Then add the coconut mix and cover the kadai and let it cook on a low flame.
- After 3- 4 minutes uncover the kadai and sauté for minute to make the final mix.