Ghee Rice (നെയ്ചോറ് ) is a typical Muslim-kitchen, main course dish, especially for festival occasions and marriages. This rich rice dish is served along with spicy chicken or Mutton (Lamb) Curry. It goes well with other dishes like egg masala or spicy veg stew too.
- Basmati Rice : 2 cup
- Hot water : 4 cup
- Chopped onion : ½
- Cardamom : 1
- Cloves : 2
- Star anise : 1
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 Tsp
- Ghee : 4 Tbl sp
- Cashew nuts :
- Salt to taste
- Heat a heavy bottom kadai/pan on stove & put 3 Tbsp ghee.
- Put the cashew nuts and fry it until it changes to golden brown in color.
- Remove the cashew nuts from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same ghee, add the cardamom, cloves & star anise and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste along with the onion.
- Fry the mix until the color of onion changes to golden brown.
- Add the washed and fully water drained rice in to the pan and fry it in low flame about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the hot water add the required amount of salt to taste.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow cooking it in a low flame for about 15 minutes. Make sure to mix the rice gently (without breaking the rice) in every 5 minute interval in between, to make the cooking even.
- Turn off the stove, pour 1 Tbsp ghee over the rice and keep it for another 2-3 minutes keeping the lid on.
- Finally add the fried cashews & mix everything very gently before serving.
- The amount of ghee can be changed to individual taste.
- Along with the cashews, you may use fried onions (fried in ghee or oil), for garnishing.
- Pay attention to the hot water quantity, it is very important to maintain the ration of the water with the rice to have proper cooking level for rice
- Instead of kadai you can use pressure cooker, (Gives better control on the cooking level)
- In the pressure cooker follow the above methods .
- Instead of hot water use normal cold water- 3 cups
- Wait for one whistle and switch off the stove , and keeping the same on the stove itself.
- Once the pressure relaxed , take the rice and put it in a wide vessel.