Garlic is an important healthy ingredient to add a powerful vegetable’s spicy flavor, in most of the cuisines, including Indian, Mexican and Thai. Pasted garlic is a handy masala ingredient to make the cooking easier and faster. The problem with off-the-shelf garlic pastes are the unwanted preservatives added to keep it stay long in ordinary temperature. If we can spend a little time to make a homemade version of it as described in this post, you can have healthy garlic paste that need only – garlic with oil, salt and turmeric powder!
- Garlic : 1 kg.
- Oil : 2Tbl sp.
- Salt : 3 T sp.
- Turmeric powder : 2 T sp.
- Peel the garlic and rinse it in water.
- Keep it in a colander for straining the water, after that keep it in a kitchen towel and spread it for drying. If you still see any water traces, wipe it with a towel.
- Put the garlic, turmeric, salt and oil in a mixer and make a smooth paste, WITHOUT adding water.
(make sure to fill the less than half space of the mixer, So do it in batches)
- Move the paste to a (dry) bowl.
- Once all done, mix the garlic paste together using a dried spoon.
- Store the paste in an airtight glass jar and keep refrigerated.
- Always use clean dry spoon while handling the paste.
- For longer storage, keep the garlic paste in small jars .Keep one jar in the fridge and the rest can be store in the freezer.
- If refrigerated, the garlic paste can be used for 3-4 weeks.