Daal Makhani is one of the most popular dal recipes of India, especially to the Punjabi cuisine. Its spicy & rich mixed lentil curry, generally made with lots of butter and cream and is a great accompaniment to Roti or Chapatti. The dish tastes even better the following day after reheating…
- Black urud daal :1 Cup
- Rajma (kidney Beans) : ¼ Cup
- Tomato : 6
- Chopped onion : 1 (medium)
- Green chilli : 3
- Garlic paste : 1.5 Tbl – Sp
- Ginger paste : 1 Tbl – Sp
- Chilli powder : 1 Tbl – Sp
- Coriander Powder : 1 Tbl – Sp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ T – Sp
- Garam masala : 1 T- Sp
- Kasoori methi : 1.5 Tbl – Sp
- Black salt : ½ T – Sp
- Butter : ¼ Cup( Adjust)
- Whipping cream : 1 Cup (Adjust)
- Black cardamom : 1
- Cardamom : 2
- Bay leaf : 1
- Cloves : 3
- Cinnamon : 1 small piece
- Jeera : ½ T – Sp
- Salt for taste
- Coriander leaves
- Salt for taste
- Soak the washed rajma and black urud daal for overnight (7-8 hours).
- Pressure cook the daals/lentils with ¼ T-sp salt for 4-5 whistles or until soft (
don’t overcook/smash the lentils). Keep it aside.
- Now roughly chop the tomato and make a smooth puree (I got 3 cups of puree).
- In a pan/kadai heat a table spoon of butter and splutter the jeera, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves.
- Then add the chopped onion along with ginger garlic paste and green chilli; saute it till onions became translucent.
- Then add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and hing and fry it for about 1 minute.
- Add the black salt and tomato puree and stir it, add small portion of butter in between and stir it in a low-medium flame.
- Continue stirring the mix for about 1 hour , can see the butter oozing out from the gravy; now add 5 cup of water and wait for it to boil.
- Add the cooked dal and mix it and let it boil well, then add the half of kasoori methi ( ¾ Tbl- Sp), check the salt and add it if needed.
- Reduce the flame into low and close the lid and cook it for about 2-3 hours, stir in-between to avoid sticking in the bottom of the pan.
- If the gravy is getting thickens, add enough water ( the consistency should be medium thick).
- Finally add the balance kasoori methi (crushed with hands) , garam masala and chopped cilantro.
- Switch off the stove and finally add the whipping cream and mix it.
- This is a very rich curry, so the recipe needs more butter, but here I reduced the quantity , you can add more if u wish.
- Cooking time is very important, you have to keep the dal makhani in a low flame for long time, to get the traditional dal makhani taste.
- While pressure cooking, don’t overcook the daals, it should be soft.
- Make the puree of tomato (no need for blanching the tomatoes).