Here is our traditional Kerala version of crispy chicken fry, prepared with natural spices. You will find this way healthier and tastier than the western versions. Served with the semi-crispy onion and natural masala from the fry, this crispy fried chicken can be served as a side dish to go with Parotta (layered bread) or Chapati. Also is a perfect choice as an appetizer for festive occasions and family events.
- Chicken with bone : 3Lb
- Curd/plain-yogurt : ¼ Cup
- Salt : 1 Tbl- Sp
- Kashmiri chilli powder : 1.5 Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- Chilli flakes : 1.5 Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- Pepper powder : 1 T- Sp (Adjust)
- Turmeric powder : ½ T-Sp
- Ginger-Garlic paste : 1 Tbl- Sp
- Garam masala : 1 T- Sp
- Rice flour : 4 Tbl- Sp
- Corn flour : 1.5 Tbl- Sp
- Vinegar : 1 T- Sp
- Salt for taste
- Lemon juice : 1 Tbl- Sp
- Curry leaves
- Oil for frying
- Sliced onion 2
- Skin out and cut the chicken into big pieces, wash it well and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add the yogurt along with salt and enough water to cover the chicken.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix it, make sure the water completely cover the chicken.
- Keep it in the fridge for about 3-5 hours ( This step is for making the chicken very tender and juicy).
- Take it out and then rinse it 3-4 times or until all the yogurt is fully washed off.
- Keep it in a colander to drain all the water, (if you are in a hurry, may use kitchen towel to wipe all the pieces).
- In a bowl add all the ingredients mentioned for marinating and add enough water to make a thick paste.
- Add the pieces and mix it, rub the masalas into all the pieces, make sure the masala completely covers the pieces.
- Keep it in the fridge for overnight (minimum 2 hours).
- 15 minutes before frying, take the chicken from the fridge and keep it in room temperature.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai , add the chicken pieces along with enough curry leaves and deep fry it until golden brown.
- Finally add the sliced onion and fry it (only translucent) and take it.
- I used chicken thighs, that will be tastier than other parts. But you can use any pieces.
- Keeping the chicken in yogurt water is very important to make the pieces tender.
- Marinating overnight is preferred for better taste.
- This chicken fry is outside crisp and inside very soft and juicy.
- It’s a spicy fry, you can adjust the spice level.
- Frying in coconut oil will give the chicken fry is more taste.