For the Crab Lovers, it is one of the most delicious of all sea foods especially when it is cooked in spicy Kerala style masala. This South Kerala Style Crab Roast/ഞണ്ട് Roast preparation, the crab is cooked in gravy enriched with gamboge (കുടംപുളി) and Kerala spices. The natural sweetness infused along with the spicy masala brings out the best in this exotic dish.
- Crab : 2.50 Lb
- Crushed Garlic : 15 cloves
- Crushed ginger : ½ inch pieces
- Green chilly : 2
- Chilli powder : 3 Tbl- Sp(Adjust)
- Pepper powder : 1 ½ T- Sp
- Turmeric powder : ¼ t- Sp
- Curry leaves
- Salt for taste
- Coconut oil : ¼ Cup (Adjust)
- Kudampuli (gambooge -കുടംപുളി ): 3 pieces(Adjust)
- Vinegar : 1 T- sp
- Here I used cooked crab from supermarket and removed the top shell and cut it into 2 pieces. If you are getting small crabs, no need for cutting. If you are using fresh crab, clean it and cook it with salt and ¼ T- Sp of turmeric powder before making the roast.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, add the crushed ginger along with garlic ,green chili and curry leaves; fry it until light brown.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the chilli powder along with turmeric powder, pepper powder and kudampuli; fry it until the raw smells goes.
- Add the crab pieces and salt, stir it for about 2 minutes
- Add 1 cup of water and close the lid and cook it in reduced the flame, open the lid and stir it in between. It will take about 40 minutes cooking.
- In between, add the vinegar and mix it.
- Once cooked well all the masalas are well coated in the crab and we can see the oil is oozing from the sides of the pan.
- Finally add curry leaves and mix it.
- Cut the crab into 2 or more pieces based on its size, I got 1 big crab split that to two. If you are getting small crabs, no need for cutting.
- Slow cooking will give the crab roast more flavor and taste.