For long I was thinking of consolidating a few recipes for postpartum (post-delivery) care dishes. Vazhakkai (Green banana) – Chena (elephant yam) Mezhukkupuratti is the first one to go in to this category. The blend of these vegetable with coconut pieces in the sauté style preparation make this dish a perfect accompaniment for boiled rice.
- Chena/elephant yam : 2 Cup
- Green banana/vazhaykka : 1 Cup
- Coconut slices : ½ Cup
- Chopped onion : ½ Cup
- Crushed garlic : 2 cloves
- Turmeric powder : ½ T- Sp
- Chilli powder : ½ T- Sp
- Dried red chilli : 4 (Adjust)
- Salt for taste
- Oil : 2 Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- Curry leaves
- Cut the green banana & elephant yam to square pieces.
- In a pan add yam along with coconut pieces, salt, turmeric powder and a half cup of water; close the lid and boil it.
- Once it is boiled well, add the raw banana piece; close the lid and cook it (make sure not to overcook, ie , the pieces should be separate). If there is any extra water, drain it and keep it.
- Heat oil in a pan add the dried red chilli and fry it.
- Then add the onion along with the garlic and sauté it until translucent.
- Now add the cooked veggies and fry it. Check the salt, if it needed add salt.
- Then add the chilli powder and fry it for about 2 minutes.
- Finally add the curry leaves and turn off the stove.
- Fresh yam will give the mezhukkupuratty the authentic taste.
- Use pearl onions for better taste.
- Adjust the quantity of oil, while frying the vegetables, add oil in-between and sauté it.