Another thoran (poriyal) recipe from Kerala cuisine. Thoran preparations – finely chopped vegitable, saute with gratted coconut masala- are very common for Malayalee cuisines for daily meal as well as an unavoidable as a side dish to go in to the Sadya Vattam (feast). Beatroot is very common vegitable used for thoran during festival occasion feasts .
- Beetroot – Chopped : 2 (Big)
- Onion – Medium : 1(medium)
- Coconut – grated : 1.5 Cup (Adjust)
- Green chilly : 5 (Adjust)
- Jeera : ¼ T- Sp
- Turmeric powder : ½ T- Sp
- Garlic paste/crushed : ½ T- sp
- Salt for taste
- Mustard seeds : ½ T- Sp
- Dried red chilli : 3
- Curry leaves
- Oil : 1.5 Tbl- Sp (Adjust)
- In a mixer, add the coconut, jeera, turmeric powder and green chilly, and pulse it for a1-2 seconds.
- In a wide pan heat the oil and splutter mustard seeds followed with red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the onion along with the garlic, salt ; sauté it until onions becomes translucent.
- Then add the coconut mixture and fry it for about a minute and add the chopped beetroot, stir it continuously.
- Check the salt and more if needed.
- Without using the lid, cook the entire mix for about 5 min. don’t overcook the beetroot, it will spoil the texture and taste; some crunchiness should be there.
- Once it is done take it out from the stove.
- Do not use the lid for entire cooking.
- Make sure to chop the beetroot into small pieces (use food chopper for easy and fine cut).
- Don’t put the lid while cooking; the cooking time is very less (~ 5 minute).